COP26: The Only Snippet You Will Need for CLAT 2022 GK!
The Conference of Parties (COP) is an annual gathering of attended by countries that signed the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC). This year’s COP was considered to be the ‘last chance to save the planet’. COP is an important piece of current affairs from the perspective of CLAT. This topic is filled with important dates, so make sure to make a time line and revise your notes!
Important Facts about COP:
- Ideated in the United Nations Climate Change Framework Convention (UNFCCC).
- The United Nations Conference on Environment and Development is also known by other names like the Earth Summit, the Rio Summit, or the Rio Conference.
- It is considered to be the parent treaty of both the Kyoto Protocol (1997) and the Paris Agreement (2015).
- UNFCCC entered into force on 21st March, 1994.
- It has been ratified by 197 countries.
- India ratified the UNFCCC in 1993.
- There have been regular annual meetings since 1995.
• The primary vision of COP is to Formulating measures to mitigate climate change, cooperate to effectively adapt to the impact of climate change and to promote education, training and public awareness related to climate change.
- The Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change (MoEFCC) acts as the nodal agency for UNFCCC in India.
Quick Facts about COP26:
- Held in Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
- Presided by: Alok Sharma
- Other names: Glasgow Summit
- Main agenda: to deal with the disturbing prospect that the world was set to reach nearly +3°C by the end of the century, [ exceeds 2015 Paris Agreement target of “well below 2°C” and ideally 1.5°C above pre-industrial levels.]
- Urged countries to consider strengthening their 2030 targets.
- By COP27 to be held in Egypt in 2022. (possible question)
- The summit got 140 countries to announce the target dates for bringing down emission rate to net zero.
- India has also joined to be Net Zero by 2070.
Consequences (Emerged during but outside the COP process)
Glasgow Breakthrough Agenda:
- 42 countries (includes India)
- Cooperative effort to accelerate the development and deployment of clean and sustainable technologies.
- Europe was advised to follow the German/Swedish example and aim at net-zero by 2045.
COP Through the Years (Important Dates for CLAT)
COP 1 :
• Location: Berlin
• First conference
COP 3 :
• Location: Kyoto, Japan
• Kyoto Protocol- came into force in 2005.
• To reduce/ limit the greenhouse gas emissions.
COP 8 :
• Location: Delhi, India
• Adopted: ‘strengthening of technology transfer in all relevant sectors, including energy, transport and R&D, and the strengthening of institutions for sustainable development.
COP 21 :
• Location: Paris, France
• Paris agreement adopted, wherein countries were to limit global warming to well below 2, preferably at 1.5 degrees Celsius, compared to pre-industrial levels.
• Secure global net-zero by mid-century and keep 1.5 degrees within reach.
• Countries must make good on their promise to mobilise at least $100bn in climate finance per year.
• Decided to Finalise the Paris Rulebook, rules to help enforce the agreement.
- Which of the following K-Pop Bands have been named goodwill ambassadors for COP26?
2.The role of People’s Advocate is to work together with the host nation, and address world leaders and the public before and during the conference. Who is the COP26 People’s Advocate?
A. Sir David Attenborough
B. David Tennant
C. David Beckham
D. Sir David Frost
Answer: Sir David Attenborough