This post was first published on June 30, 2020
The Common Law Admission Test has been postponed several times this year which caused confusion regarding CLAT 2020 date and finally, the Consortium has released a notice announcing the CLAT 2020 exam date to be Aug 22.
The exam will be held at designated online test centres.
July 10 is the last date to register.
The candidates have also been given an option to opt-out of the exam and withdraw their registration. This can be done by July 18 and a fee of 400 for SC/ST & 500 for others will be deducted, the rest will be refunded.
Read the full press release by the Consortium on CLAT date 2020clat exam date notice
The consortium recognised the risks of a traditional paper-based test and decided to choose otherwise, however, they also recognised the inefficiencies of a home-based online test and therefore chose centre-based online test.
The Consortium mentioned, ” At the aforesaid meeting, the EC assessed the feasibility of conducting the CommonLaw Admission Test, 2020 (the “CLAT 2020”) through various modes.
It concluded that an off-line test, as initially contemplated, would require large scale movement of students to limited centres, and significant logistics in the handling of question papers and answer scripts, which is not possible during the prevalent pandemic
Further, an on-line test at home with technological measures cannot ensure transparency, fairness and integrity of a high stakes examination process or maintain equitable access to necessary facilities.
Hence, the EC concluded that an on-line test at a large number of centres compliant with physical distancing and public health safety prescriptions is in the best interests of the health and safety of candidates and test administrators.”
There had been several discussions due to COVID 19 which postponed the date of exam of CLAT 2020.
Medical precautions at CLAT centres
Instructions to the staff
- Staff will be deployed for Crowd Management and orderly movement.
- Staff with Thermo Guns will be present at the entry gate
- Sufficient cleaning staff, centre administrators and invigilators with face masks and hand gloves will be deployed.
- Spray machines with disinfectant liquid will be used to sanitize examination centres thoroughly.
- Sufficient hand sanitizer and hand soap will be present across the test centres and washrooms.
- Candidates with fever or COVID symptoms will not be permitted inside the exam venue.
- A separate isolation lab will be set up to accommodate these candidates.
- PPE kits will be made available for staff in isolation labs.
- 3 ply masks and gloves will be provided to isolated candidates
Instructions for candidates
- All candidates with temperature > 99.14 will be directed to the isolation lab for taking the examination.
- In case of candidate with a scribe, both the candidate and the scribe must bring their own N95 mask
- Candidates will be permitted to carry following items with them into the venue:
o Personal transparent water bottle
o Personal hand sanitizer (50 ml)
o A simple pen
o Exam related documents (Admit Card, ID card, etc.)
- Candidates will be told to switch off their mobile phones and deposit it at the designated
location, to be collected while exiting.