There are two types of art which are necessary for the scope of CLAT preparation.
The first is fine arts and the second is performing arts.
Fine arts encompass drawing, painting, sculpting as well as crafts.
Performing arts would primarily include dance, music and theatre.
It is important that you familiarize yourself important Indian figures in each of these fields.
Here is a list of famous painters and their paintings:
- Abanindranath Tagore-Bharat Mata
- Amrita Shergill-Siesta
- Atul Dodiya-The Kitchen
- Bikash Bhattacharjee-King with Flute
- Gaganendranath Tagore-Adbhut Lok: realm of the absurd.
- Jamini Roy-Queen on Tiger
- Kalipada Ghosal-Persian Night
- F.Hussain-Maiden’s Flight
- Manishi Dey-Bengal Women
- Nandalal Bose-Dandi March
- Raja Ravi Varma-Galaxy of Musicians
- Satish Gujral-Raising of Lazarus
- Shoba Singh-Sohni Mahiwal
- Silpi-Thennattu Selvangal(Treasures of South India)
- Sunil Das-Woman
Note the names of dancers and the dance forms they specialize in.
- Deepti Omcherry Bhalla-Mohiniyattam
- Kalamandandalam Kalyanikutty Amma-Mohiniyattam
- Kumidini Lakhia-Kathak
- Leela Samson-Bharatnatyam
- Malavika Sarukkai-Bharatnatyam
- Mallika Sarabhai- Kuchipudi and Bharatnatyam
- Medha Yodh-Bharatnatyam
- Mrinalini Sarabhai-Bharatnatyam, Kathakali
- Pandit Birju Maharaj-Kathak
- Rajashree Warrier-Bharatnatyam
- Rukmini Devi Arundale-Bharatnatyam
- Shovana Naryan-Kathak
- Sonal Mansingh-Bharatnatyam,Kuchipudi, Chhau
- Uday Shankar-Ballet
- Yamini Krishnamurthy-Kuchipudi, Bharatnatyam
Keep in mind the musical talents of India.
- Ayan Ali Bangash-Sarod
- Hariprasad Chaurasia-Flute
- Kadri Gopalnath-Saxophone
- Pandit R K Bijapure Maha Meru-Harmonium
- Pandit Ravi Shankar-Sitar
- Ram Narayan-Sarnagi
- Ustad Allarakha-Tabla
- Ustad Amjad Ali Khan-Sarod
- Ustad Ali Akbar Khan-Sarod
- Ustad Bismillah Khan Sahib-Shehnai
- Vishwa Mohan Bhatt-Mohan Veena
- Zakir Hussain-Tabla
- Allaudin Khan-Hindustani classical music
- Bhimsen Joshi-Hindustani classical music
- M.Balamurakrishna-Carnatic music
- T.V.Golapakrishnan-Carnatic music
- Gangubai Hangal-Hindustani classical music
- Kishori Amonkar-Hindustani classical music
- S.Subbulakshmi-Carnatic music
- Madurai T.N.Seshagopalan-Carnatic music
- Nityashree Mahadevan-Carnatic music
- Pandit Kumar Ghandarva-Hindustani classical music
- Pandit Jasraj-Hindustani classical music
- K.Srikantan-Carnatic music
- Sudha Raghunathan-Carnatic music
- V.Sankaranarayanan-Carnatic music
- Ustad Bade Ghulam Ali Khan-Hindustani classical music
Here are some of the names that dominate the Indian stage.
- Alyque Padamsee
- Aparna Mehta
- Badal Sarkar
- Cyrus Dastur
- Girish Kannad
- Mallika Shah
- Safdar Hashmi
- Satyadev Dubey
- Shambhu Mitra
- Shankar Nag
- Sharad Joshi
- Utpal Dutta
- Vijay Tendulkar
- Zohra Sehgal
Practice Sheet of Questions
Try and find out the answers to these questions.
- What is Parveen Sultana known for?
- Theatre personality
- Hindustani vocalist
- Tabla player
- Which dance form is Uma Sharma famously known for?
- Which of these states is famous for the dance form Yakshagana?
- Arunachal Pradesh
- Uttar Pradesh
- Which instrument does Bhajan Sopori play?
- Who painted Vatayu Vadham?
- Raja Ravi Verma
- Amrita Shergill
- Jagannath Panda
- Ram Kumar
- Which of these instruments did Abdul Aziz Khan play?
- Vichitra Veena
- Mohan Veena
- Which of these is not a work by Jamini Roy?
- Warrior King
- The Star That Beckons
- Mother and the Child
- Which of these dance forms is Madavoor Vasudevan Nair known for?
- Ottum Thulal
- Which of these instruments does Ustad Sadiq Ali Khan famously play?
- Rudra Veena
- Mohan Veena
- Which of these stars is a familiar face in the theatre circuit?
- Shabana Azmi
- Farhan Akhtar
- Sonam Kapoor